Friday, January 15, 2016

The Influence Of Social Media In Sports

Social media is extremely powerful in today’s society.  It seems like every couple of years a new social network is created that makes it even easier for people to connect with people they wouldn’t normally have the opportunity to connect with.  

Socially media can be used for good. In many cases people are connecting with new opportunities, old friends and distant family. But, sometimes people use social media for cruel purposes. Many people use social media as a platform to offend people and tear other people down. It’s easier to say mean things when hiding behind a computer. Social media gives people a platform to be whoever they want to be and say whatever they want to say, sometime even anonymously.

I read an article “LeBron James is on fire, and he says one criticism on social media urged him to fix his biggest weakness.”  This article talks about how LeBron James saw a tweet online calling him the worst high volume shooter from outside the paint. This tweet affected LeBron James so much that he was determined to working on his shooting.  LeBron stated

“I actually saw it on my Instagram feed that I was the worst- shooting player in the NBA. I actually saw that when I woke up from a nap. I remember exactly when that was. Denver. Right before the Denver game, so I answered the call… It doesn’t bother me. It put me back in the gym.”

What was tweeted as criticism ultimately turned into motivation in this situation. But, what was amazing to me was that this guy on social media was not a coach, not an analyst, not a friend or family member to LeBron. But yet his tweet reached him and made an impact on him.  It makes me wonder how many post athletes see every day and after each game. It must be hard to live in a world having to deal with so many opinions and reactions on a daily basis. Although, athletes are in a public spotlight and must adjust to dealing with adverse opinions how much access is too much?


No comments:

Post a Comment